Winter is just around the corner and with it come all the ice, snow and power outages. Yes…I said power outages. Sure the electric company does a good job of trimming back branches over the summer, but unless you are prepared, being without power over the winter could be a nightmare. Here are some tips that I have gathered over the years on preparing for a power outage…
- Keep a flashlight in every room of the house.
- Have a deck of cards or something on hand to keep children entertained…I mean what will they do if the power doesn’t come back on before the iPad battery dies!
- Keep a bucket near your sump pump in the basement as you never know when you may have to bail some water.
- If you have a landline, make sure you keep an “old phone” around that doesn’t require electricity.
- Put some ice cubes in a Ziploc bag in the freezer. If it melts and refreezes, you will know if your power was out long enough that food should be discarded.
- If you use a generator or grill, make sure it is outside (not in the garage). You don’t want to add carbon monoxide poisoning to your list of problems.
- Make sure your fire detectors and carbon monoxide detectors have fresh batteries
- Have an AM/FM radio available to listen to news and weather forecasts
- Have a lighter and fire logs readily available near your fireplace
- Keep the pantry stocked with canned food and make sure you have a manual can opener
- Avoid opening the refrigerator and freezer to keep your food as fresh as possible
- To prevent damage from potential power surges, disconnect any appliances or electronic equipment
- Make sure to have extra warm clothes and blankets accessible. Even if you have a natural gas furnace, the fan that distributes the heat is likely still powered by electricity.
- Check on your neighbors who may not have seen this list…or better yet, forward it on to them!
Okay, I know we are in the 21st century, so let’s add some neat tech gadgets of our list of must haves…
- Download a handy flashlight app for your iPhone or Android
- Need a hands free flashlight? Buy the Striker LED Light Mine
- Don’t want to bail water? Try The Basement Watchdog Battery Backup Pump
- Can’t survive without charging the iPhone? Check out this Radio, Flashlight & Cell Phone Charger
- Don’t want to crank? Try the Duracell Powerpack
Or…check out the more than 32,000 generators available at Amazon.com.